[Ads-l] "Official Ephus" and eephus?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Dec 16 19:40:54 UTC 2019

Has anyone in the thread cited the OED (negatively informative)
etymological note, reproduced below?  ("sense 2", as noted upthread, is 'a
slow pitch having a high arcing trajectory')

Origin unknown.
It is often suggested that sense 2
<https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/54144667?redirectedFrom=eephus#eid1214576800>
originates from a comment said to have been made by Maurice Van Robays
(1914–65), then outfielder of the Pittsburgh Pirates, when Sewell used this
pitch in a 1942 exhibition game: ‘Eephus ain't nothing, and that's a
nothing pitch’. Chiefly on the basis of this, an origin < Hebrew *'ep̄es*
‘end, extremity’, (usually) ‘nothingness, nothing, zero’, is often
suggested. However, there appears to be no evidence that either Sewell or
Van Robays was Jewish or knew any Hebrew; the English word would be
expected to show /ɛ/
<https://public.oed.com/how-to-use-the-oed/key-to-pronunciation/> as the
initial vowel if the Hebrew word was the etymon; and the earlier currency
in sense 1
<https://www.oed.com/view/Entry/54144667?redirectedFrom=eephus#eid1215717770>
suggests that the original meaning was positive, not negative.