[Ads-l] Xstaurants

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Dec 22 19:39:03 UTC 2019

> On Dec 22, 2019, at 12:30 PM, Nancy Friedman <wordworking at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Hooters and its ilk have been known as “breastaurants” for a couple of
> decades.
>
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breastaurant

And luckily for Hooters, the trademark for the term—highly valued as I’m sure it was—has fallen victim to genericide:

In October 2012, Bikinis Sports Bar & Grill successfully registered the term "breastaurant" as a trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office; as of May 24, 2019 the term was no longer trademarked under the rule of section 8, "Continued use not filed within Grace Period". Bikinis Sports Bar & Grill had closed its last restaurant on December 23, 2018, 6 months prior.
[from same wiki entry Nancy cites]

LH