[Ads-l] Coinage of "Cryptocurrency" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Tue Feb 5 07:38:58 UTC 2019

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 4:49 PM Mark Mandel <mark.a.mandel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, and the name ECU was dropped, as I recall reading around that time,
> because of its association with one European country's currency: its
> similarity to "écu", which iirc had been considered as a reason *for*
> calling it that.

Um, there was a competition/some sort of process to determine the final
name. I remember vividly because my (Greek) panini vendor (I lived in Paris
at the time) was very strongly in favor of the Greek suggestion, "Mna",
which he declared to be euphonious, easy to pronounce and equipped with a
rich history. Most of my friends including myself were in favor of just
calling it écu (now with accent or not), and were a little disappointed at
the insipid "euro".

Chris

Chris Waigl . chris.waigl at gmail.com . chris at lascribe.net
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net . http://chryss.eu