[Ads-l] Quote: In etymology vowels count for nothing and consonants for very little. (Attributed to Voltaire)

Thu Feb 7 22:22:55 UTC 2019

Wonderful! Thank you all for the great citations. With your help I
located an interesting French citation from 1775 that lists some
principles for tracing word origins.

Year: 1775 (MDCCLXXV)
Title: Monde Primitif, Analysé Et Comparé Avec Le Monde Moderne,
Considéré Dans L'Histoire Naturelle De La Parole;
Ou Origine Du Langage Et De L'Écriture
Quote Page 47 and 48

https://hdl.handle.net/2027/nyp.33433001047368
https://hdl.handle.net/2027/nyp.33433001047368?urlappend=%3Bseq=87

[Begin excerpt]
SIXIÉME PRINCIPE.
Les voyelles ne sont rien dans la comparaison des mots.
[End excerpt]

[Begin excerpt]
SEPTIEME PRINCIPE.
Les Consonnes correspondantes ont été sans cesse substituées les unes
aux autres, sur-tout celles du même organe.
[End excerpt]

[Begin Google translate]
SIXTH PRINCIPLE.
Vowels are nothing in the comparison of words.
[End Google translate]

[Begin Google translate]
SEVENTH PRINCIPLE.
The corresponding consonants have been constantly substituted for each
other, especially those of the same organ.
[End Google translate]

Garson