[Ads-l] cosplay; meet-cute; my tiny violin

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 9 06:22:19 UTC 2019

OED3 has "cosplay" from 1993 on Usenet:

1993   _Animedia-February 1993_ in rec.arts.anime (Usenet newsgroup) 14
May
Also the popularity can be seen in doujinshi and cosplay (costume play) and
the popularity is not just junior high girls.

In the etymological note, Japanese _kosupure_ is dated to 1982.