[Ads-l] third place

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Feb 9 17:10:28 UTC 2019

Part of a general pattern wherein a binary opposition with an excluded middle is presupposed or in practice, and then a third unexcluded middle is established as distinct from and somehow between each of the others or neutral with respect to their opposition. This third factor is often negatively or disjunctively defined rather than constituting a well-defined category.

Examples:

Neither fish nor fowl nor good red herring
Third world (still used, even now that the definition of the second world has become somewhat inchoate)
Third way (in political usage, drawing on liberal social views and conservative economic ones:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Way)
(Chomsky’s) third factor (in language acquisition), the first two being genetic endowment and experience.
(http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.174.4334&rep=rep1&type=pdf)

I’m sure I’m forgetting some, and of course not all third things, even when the third is the last on the continuum—e.g. “third degree” (in interrogation or burns), “the third Reich"—fit the pattern.

LH