[Ads-l] _sandwich =?utf-8?Q?=C3=A0_?=la Colette_ a method of sexual intercourse

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 25 17:25:17 UTC 2019

There appears to be a reference to "A la Colette" in a book by Boris
Vian entitled, "Jazz in Paris, Chroinques de Jazz pour la station de
radio WNEW, New York (1948-1949).  I found it on archive.org via
openlibrary.org.

Much of the book is in English with the French translation on the
opposing page, but the introduction and description of what the book is
are all in French.  I'm not a French speaker, so I don't know for sure,
but most of the book appears to be transcriptions of things said on an
English language jazz station in the late-1940s in France, correct me if
I'm wrong.

On page 120:

"There's one more biscuit to eat, and the title is a very suggestive
one: the name is this of a nice young girl who loves American musicians
. . . Did I tell you three of them were playing in . . . 'A la Colette.'
  So, with 'A la Colette,' which means, 'in the Colette's manner,' we end
today's program, dedicated to the Be-Bop minstrels."

"A la Colette" appears to be the title of a song or piece, but it is a
"suggestive" title, and there is a reference to it being played by three
people, so apparently a reference to the "a la Collete" that is the
subject of this thread.

Might the Colette referred to be the French writer, Colette, who wrote
bawdy, thinly disguised autobiographical novels.  She is best known for
writing Gigi.  Colette wrote a series of books about a woman named
Claudine, widely believed to be based on her own life.  In the book, she
engages in at least a love triangle with a woman and her husband - she
is later shocked to find out that her husband and the female lover her
husband encouraged her to pursue are cheating on her with one another.
Perhaps there were other events in other books that made "a la colette"
more literally match the later use of the expression, or perhaps the
later meaning expanded on the source material.

There are quite a few French language books show up in my search on
HathiTrust that include both the phrase "a la colette" and "menage a
trois," but they don't come up in full view and I wouldn't be able to
read them easily in any case.

A French speaker with better access might be in a better position to
figure it out.