[Ads-l] Quote: The day a child realizes that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent. Request perusal of book by Canadian poet Alden Nowlan

Wed Jan 2 23:57:21 UTC 2019

A correspondent requested a trace of the subject line quotation.
My investigation points to the book specified below. The goal is to
verify that the quotation is present and to obtain a complete and
accurate citation. This task is complicated by the fact that I do not
know the page number. It might be page 102. It is a book of poetry,
so it might not be too difficult to fully examine it.

If you can help, please let me know. Scans showing the quotation
and metadata would be very useful.

The Google Books database has a book with the following title, but it
is the wrong book.

Year: 1971
Book: Between Tears and Laughter: Poems
Author: Alden Nowlan
Publisher: Toronto, Clarke, Irwin
Page Number: Uncertain; maybe 102

[Begin target text that is supposed to be in the book above]
The day the child realizes that all adults are imperfect he becomes an
adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult; the day he
forgives himself he becomes wise.
[End target text]

There is another lead in the book below. The target quotation appears
on pages 147 and 225 according to Google Books (GB). There are
footnotes attached to the quotations, but the contents of footnotes
are difficult to extract in GB especially when the numbering scheme
causes the reuse of footnote numbers. It would be nice to see what the
footnotes say.

Year: 2003
Book: One Heart, One Way: Alden Nowlan: A Writer's Life