[Ads-l] romcom (1963)

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 8 18:59:14 UTC 2019

> WB: I seem to have a vague recollection from some L.A. radio show (Roy of
Hollywood?) in the '70s that [SKIFFie] was used by the big guys, as an
insider shibboleth.

I vaguely recall something like that, but I can't remember which was the
"good" one - though my second version would be more like "Sky-Fi" and I
thought that that was the frowned-on version. Hmm, Prof. Paul Brauns says:
https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/30/sci-fi/
“Sci-fi,” the widely used abbreviation for “science fiction,” is
objectionable to most professional science fiction writers, scholars, and
many fans. Some of them scornfully designate alien monster movies and other
trivial entertainments “sci-fi” (which they pronounce “skiffy”) to
distinguish them from true science fiction. The preferred abbreviation in
these circles is “SF.” The problem with this abbreviation is that to the
general public “SF” means “San Francisco.” “The Sci-Fi Channel” [now the
"SyFi Channel"] has exacerbated the conflict over this term. If you are a
reporter approaching a science fiction writer or expert you immediately
mark yourself as an outsider by using the term “sci-fi.”

Harlan Ellison has more to say about that - appears it's "Science Fiction"
or nothing (for him):
https://youtu.be/JDNrnpefGio

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 12:24 PM W Brewer <brewerwa at gmail.com> wrote:

> WB queried: What? No scifi?  [SIGH-fie, SKIFFie]
> LH retorted:  Obviously the former pronunciation (the only one I’ve ever
> heard) is better, since it rhymes.
> WB: I seem to have a vague recollection from some L.A. radio show (Roy of
> Hollywood?) in the '70s that [SKIFFie] was used by the big guys, as an
> insider shibboleth. This notion has stuck with me, like Skippy peanut
> butter.

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell