[Ads-l] dime-store novel (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Jan 14 19:29:11 UTC 2019

Here is a citation from "dime store joke book" in 1921.  Wikipedia has
a complex article for "Dime novel".

Date: January 26, 1921
Newspaper: The Washburn Review
Newspaper Location: Topeka, Kansas
Section: Student Opinion
Quote Page 2, Column 4
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
A LITERARY PAGE.

In nearly every student, there is a literary vein to which a certain
kind of reading material appeals. Why doesn't the Review cater to it?

In our estimation, too much space is devoted to paragraphs, which add
spice and pep to the paper if mixed in with more balanced reading
matter; but when taken almost entirely alone, cheapen the paper and
put it on a par with a dime store joke book.
[End excerpt]