[Ads-l] prescriptivism problem

Mark Mandel mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 27 17:52:43 UTC 2019

Distinguō, Iacobē, distinguō!

To me, both can refer to either present or future. But
1)  I am worried about his having an affair.
means "I am worried about that fact or possibility", whereas
2)  I am worried about him having an affair.
can be equivalent, but could also mean "I am worried about the effect an
affair [of his] {could have/is having} on him."

* Based on some classic quotation that, iirc, either Tolkien or Lewis used
to the other.

Mark Mandel