[Ads-l] 'Skort' Is Minnesota Invention, claims 1951 citation

Mon Jan 28 02:22:31 UTC 2019

"skort" was discussed on this list back in 2002 (before my time) and
2018. The OED has an entry with a first citation in 1957. (OED Third
Edition, June 2015).

[Begin condensed OED excerpt]
skort, n.
Origin: Formed within English, by blending. Etymons: skirt n., short n.
Chiefly N. Amer.
  A pair of shorts having a flap across the front to give the
appearance of a skirt; (also) a short skirt having an attached pair of
shorts underneath.

1957   Independent-Press-Telegram (Long Beach, Calif.) 16 June a4   If
a lady can't decide between shorts and a skirt.., the answer is a
skort.
[End OED excerpt]

Searching newspapers.com produces a huge number of false positive
matches. So, I stopped searching as soon as I found a genuine match in
1951. The article title contains an interesting claim: 'Skort' Is
Minnesota Invention.