[Ads-l] Things That Go Bump in the Night

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 17 01:42:51 UTC 2019

1905 Archibald Stodart Walker   _A Beggar's Wallet : Containing
contributions in prose, verse and pictorial illustration, gathered from
certain workers in art and letters ... To be disposed of in aid of the
Royal Victoria Hospital for Consumpton, Edinburgh, at the Great
International Fair to be held in the Waverly Market, in the month of
November, 1905_  [Edinburgh: Dobson, Molle, 1905] 163:

"Frae ghosties and ghoulies, long-leggettie beasties,

 And things that go bump in the night,

Good Lord deliver us."

— From a quaint old Litany.

JL