[Ads-l] antedating "Fan Fiction" (1944), fannish (1948), etc (UNCLASSIFIED)

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY CCDC AVMC (USA) 0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Wed Jul 17 17:56:10 UTC 2019

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Fan Fiction
OED and OED SF Project both have 1944

_Fanfare_  p. 6
"Do you want fan fiction?"
http://www.fanac.org/fanzines/Fanfare/Fanfare01-06.html?

Fannish
No entry for OED; OED SF project has 1948

_Motography_ 5 Jun 1915,  p. 922 col 1
"But we have not observed, and do not believe, the sane and normal picture show visitor, however "fannish" he may be, ever loses his identity or his sense of time and place in an excess of emotional concentration."
https://archive.org/stream/motography13elec#page/922/mode/2up

Variety 8 Jan 1929 p 3 col 1
"An idea of fannish interest can be gleaned from one incident occurring to a station that offered a continued program."

Con
OED +  OED SF project have 1940 (both for "Chicon")

_Golden Atom_ #2 15 Nov 1939 p 3
"In America's mightiest metropolis, where once millions of men women walkt & talkt & workt, live &, with their children, had their being, in 1939 with the coming of the NYcon overnight practically ceased to exist!"
http://www.fanac.org/fanzines/Golden_Atom/GoldenAtom02-03.html?

_Voice of the Imagi-Nation_ #4 Dec 1939 p 5
"MARK REINSBERG -  a Name to Conjure with - from Chicon HQs at 3156 Cabridge Ave, Chicago"
http://www.fanac.org/fanzines/VOM/vom4-05.html?

Off-trail
OED SF Project has 1947, OED has no entry
_Le Zombie_ 30 Dec 1939 p 5
"We are attempting to list every science, weird, fantasy, "future" and off-trail book ever published in the English language.!"
http://www.fanac.org/fanzines/Le_Zombie/lezom20-05.html?

Stfnal
OED SF Project has 1944
[_Golden Atom_ #2 15 Nov 1939 p 4
"We considered "Doc" Lowndes confiscated pamphlet, "Dead End 1938," & other significant stfal topix."}
http://www.fanac.org/fanzines/Golden_Atom/GoldenAtom02-04.html?

Jeep
OED has 1941

Louisville KY _Courier Journal_  22 Dec 1940 mag section p 3
"This is a four-wheel drive staff car, commonly known as a 'jeep.' "

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED