[Ads-l] “Neutrality”

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Sat Jul 20 20:11:46 UTC 2019

On 7/20/19 00:00, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
>   -----------------------------
> [Middle English*journeiman*  :*journei*, a day's work; see JOURNEY

Ooo. That's really interesting. I barely did Middle English in grad
school; I did mostly Old stuff. But for a proofreading job I proofread a
translation of a ME midwifery manual where "travail" or "travel" was
used for "labor."

---Amy West

Related to the "neutrality" topic:

There's a series of SF books by Ada Palmer where the author plays around
with gender pronouns intentionally to convey ideas about the narrator
and the society (I haven't read these, my husband has) is conveying
particular attitudes/notions about other characters when using gendered
ones. At a panel on translation at Readercon, one of the panelists
talked about how for the Polish translation of these books, because
Polish defaults to gender-neutral (and Palmer was making heavy use of
the singular-they), the translator had to explicitly use structures like
"chairman and chairwoman" to try to express the notions underlying
Palmer's stylistic choice.