[Ads-l] Berkeley and gender neutral words

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jul 21 00:44:58 UTC 2019

If memory serves, it (or a similar one) was conducted by Schneider & Hacker.  It’s discussed in detail in Casey Miller & Kate Swift’s _Words and Women_ (1977/1991).  Although that study (I don’t have it on me) was to illustrate chapters of a putative history book (“Early Man” vs. “Early Humans”, “Renaissance Man” vs. “Renaissance Life”, etc.)—not only were there fewer women in the “Man” chapter illustrations but fewer children.

LH