[Ads-l] "Ants on a log" -- Request from a freelance writer

Sun Jul 21 18:29:01 UTC 2019

Great work by Barry whose analysis begins with a 1915 citation.

Here is a partially matching precursor in 1902 based on the same
metaphorical framework. The domain is political activism. There are a
group of ants (political activists) on a floating platform. The ants
have no real control over the movement of the platform. This differs
from the 1915 citation because the platform is a ship and not a log.
Also, the illusion of control is not mentioned.

Date: April 8, 1902
Newspaper: Richmond Dispatch
Newspaper Location: Richmond, Virginia
Article: Proceedings of the Constitutional Convention (continuation title)
Start Page 10, Quote Page 11, Column 2
Database: Newspapers.com
Comment: Ellipsis is in the original text

[Begin excerpt]
This is their platform: "Anti-Roosevelt-Booker Washington dinner... On
that platform they are huddled like a parcel of ants on a floating
ship in time of high water. They don't seem to know or care which way
they are drifting.
[End excerpt]

Barry's citations jump from 1915 to 1943. Here is a pertinent citation
in 1922. The same metaphorical framework is used, and the domain is
political activism. The ants (political activists) are on a floating
log. The log rolls uncontrollably. Individual ants maintain an
illusion of control.