[Ads-l] "Ants on a log" -- Request from a freelance writer

Sun Jul 21 19:10:37 UTC 2019

Here is a solid match in 1906. The joke is told by an unnamed Irish
wit and retold by a railroad manager named James E. Hurley. (Probably
the same Hurley specified in the 1922 citation.)

Date: April 10, 1906
Newspaper: The Weekly Kansas Chief
Newspaper Location: Troy, Kansas
Article: The Convention
Quote Page 4, Column 5
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt - please double check for OCR errors]
James E. Hurley, general manager of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe,
told the following story at the convention: "These fellows remind me
of the time when I lived on the Mississippi river. A great many saw
logs came down the stream every spring.

One day I was watching the procession of logs and an Irish friend of
mine who sat by me, said: 'Jim, do you mind the number of sawlogs that
come down every spring?' I said I did, and he asked: 'Do you notice
that there are about a thousand red ants on each log?" I told him that
I had noticed that fact, and he added: 'And Jim, every little red ant
thinks he is steering the log.'"

[End excerpt]

Garson O'Toole
QuoteInvestigator.com