[Ads-l] antedating blast-off and other SF terms (UNCLASSIFIED)

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY CCDC AVMC (USA) 0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Fri Jul 26 22:05:34 UTC 2019

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Blast-off noun
OED SF project has 1937, OED has 1951

"Spoor of the Bat" by Arthur Leo Zagat
_Astounding_ v 13 n 05 Jul 1934 p 64 col 1
"It wasn't till almost time to leave for the blast-off that I could find chance for a whispered word with Darl: "Well played, lad! They're nicely fooled." "

Blast-off verb
OED SF project has 1937, OED has no entry

"Spoor of the Bat" by Arthur Leo Zagat
_Astounding_ v 13 n 05 Jul 1934 p 62 col 1

"At dawn, we should blast-off for Mars, I in the [i]Terra[/i], he in the [i]Luna[/i], sister ships as like as two peas."

Aircab
OED SF project has 1940, OED has no entry

"The Barrier" by Harl Vincent
_Amazing Stories_ v 9 no 5 9/1934 p. 121 col 1

"Bert nosed the aircab down and headed in toward the clearing in back of the house."

Alien life form
OED SF project has 10/1937, OED has same

"Raider of the Spaceways" Henry Kuttner  _Weird Tales_ v 30 n1 Jul 1937 P 64 col 2
"It's a unicellular creature - Janna told me - an alien life-form, developed along lines unfamiliar to us."

Antigrav
OED SF project has 6/1941, OED has no entry

"The Scientific Pioneer Returns" by Nelson S. Bond _Amazing Stories_ v14 n11 11/1940 p. 102 col 2
"Antigrav units are activated in the nose of the ship, then when we get the course variation we swing around our objective."

Beanstalk
OED SF Project has 1982, OED does not have this sense
"Tomorrow" [essay] by Charles Sheffield
_Future_ v 2 #7 Jan 1979
"The Beanstalk, or Skyhook, is a very long cable, securely tethered at the ground and running all the way up to synchronous orbit and beyond, where it is attached to a ballast weight."

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED