[Ads-l] cheesecake (picture, pose)

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Wed Jul 31 11:09:59 UTC 2019

OED n (2) has 1929; HDAS, 1934. Green's DoS offers (before a 1934) a 1913:
T.A. Dorgan Daffydils<https://greensdictofslang.com/sources/9522> 15 Jan. [synd. cartoon strip] We present Mlle Cheesecake, the Maid of Mystery.

I haven't seen that cartoon, so it isn't clear whether this might call for square brackets or not, e.g., if the "maid of mystery" is a fortune-teller or exotic or such.

Maybe (or not) compare a (demeaning) description of a Mrs. Cheesecake in US newspapers in 1896, sarcastically titled "Intellectual."
"Mrs. Cheesecake, is your son doing well at college?"
"Well he can kick a football 40 yards."

I don't have access to early now-digital (?) Variety.
[Elvira Amazar 1915 and silk stockings hypotheses were previously mentioned in list archives.]

SG

{...cf. Zappa, Freak Out, Susie Creamcheese?}