[Ads-l] OT: Re: Vox Article: Why Marianne Williamson=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99s_?=most famous passage keeps getting cited as a Nelson Mandela quote

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 31 22:11:13 UTC 2019

https://www.thecut.com/2019/06/marianne-williamsons-strange-accent-at-democratic-debate.html

> But the answer may lie in the fact that she (claims she) has a hearing deficit that affects her speech.

Short a few haitches and "ares"? <badum><bump>

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 5:08 PM Nancy Friedman <wordworking at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Cut offered some amusing speculation about Williamson's accent:
> https://www.thecut.com/2019/06/marianne-williamsons-strange-accent-at-democratic-debate.html
>
> But the answer may lie in the fact that she (claims she) has a hearing
> deficit that affects her speech.
>

> ln Wed, Jul 31, 2019, 12:22 PM Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
>
> > > On Jul 31, 2019, at 2:48 PM, Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> > > A lot of commentators on the first debate (on MSNBC) thought Williamson's
> > > accent sounded "mid-Atlantic," so Hepburn is the easiest reference point.
> > > Oddly, she didn't sound so mid-Atlantic in the second debate (on CNN).
> > >

> > The New Yorker today:
> >
> > "Speaking in the throaty tones of a nineteen-forties film-noir heroine and
> > wearing a well-cut, sea-foam-green suit and an Armani shirt, Williamson...”
> >
> > https://www.newyorker.com/news/current/at-the-democratic-debate-marianne-williamson-battles-the-dark-psychic-force
> >
> > I don’t think of Hepburn as being particular film-noiresque.  Lana Turner?
> > Barbara Stanwyck?

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com
608 658-1890 cell