[Ads-l] "What do you mean we, paleface / white man / kemo sabe?"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 3 01:44:11 UTC 2019

> In a follow-up blog post, he mentioned that Bridwell wrote a 1 page piece
for Mad
> Magazine in 1958 that featured the subject joke, and speculated that
Bridwell had  > come up with it.

Maybe he did, but way before 1958. I heard it as "What you mean 'we,' white
man?" ca. 1946. A. "Guess what?" B. "What?" A. "Chicken butt." was around
at the same time.

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 11:10 PM Bill Mullins <amcombill at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Background:
>
> Mark Evanier administers the Bill Finger Award for the San Diego Comic
> Convention, recognizing a comics writer whom the jury feels is
> under-recognized.  This year, one of the awardees is E. Nelson Bridwell.
>
> https://www.comic-con.org/awards/bill-finger-award-node
>
> In a follow-up blog post, he mentioned that Bridwell wrote a 1 page piece
> for Mad Magazine in 1958 that featured the subject joke, and speculated
> that Bridwell had come up with it.
>
> https://www.newsfromme.com/2019/05/25/more-about-nelson/
>
> Others have gone so far as to assert that the joke is, in fact, Bridwell's.
>
> https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-329/ <
> https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-legends-revealed-329/>
>
> (and this last citation even ends up in the first line of Bridwell's
> wikipedia page:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._Nelson_Bridwell ).
>

> Apparently, none of these people actually looked that hard.
>
> _Los Angeles Times_ 16 Aug 1956 p 4.
>
> "Tonto and the Lone Ranger were riding across the prairie when suddenly in
> the distance loomed 1000 wild, screaming Indians.  "What will we do?" asked
> the Lone Ranger.  "We go this way," said Tonto.  In a few minutes another
> 1000 Indians appeared ahead, charging them. "What will we do?" the Lone
> Ranger asked again.  Tonto pointed toward a butte.  They were scarcely a
> mile away when still another 1000 Indians charged around the butte, headed
> toward them.  "What will we do?" the Lone Ranger asked.  Tonto gave him a
> long, stern look.  "What do you mean 'we,' paleface?" he demanded."
>

> [
> https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-round-orange-animated-no-repeat-v1.gif
> ]<

-Wilson