[Ads-l] "blimp" antedating

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 10 20:15:01 UTC 2019

The crucial difference, not to be overlooked by the OED or anybody else, is
that a blimp is powered and therefore "dirigible" over distances. Like the
Goodyear Blimp, which like all true blimps carries a crew. That makes it a
kind of "dirigible airship" or "dirigible" (n.) a word once universally
known (and applied also to the similarly shaped but considerably larger,
rigid-frame zeppelins).

A blimp also exhibits variations of a now-iconic, aerodynamic shape. The
crewless, tethered barrage balloons of WW2 - big as blimps - had a similar
shape, so that level of confusion is forgivable. The recent, unmanned, and
rather exotic "surveillance blimps," also tethered, are likewise very large
and of a comparable shape. Like barrage balloons, they're not moved along
by hand in parades.

Outside of Inglish - the Language of Tomorrow Today (TM) - a Macy's balloon
or a Trump balloon or a hot-air balloon or a toy balloon is as much a
"blimp" as a banjo is an electric guitar. Or a piano.

JL