[Ads-l] "How will you Skill Up today, Andy?" (new to me)

Fri Jun 14 03:06:14 UTC 2019

The phrase "skilling up" surrounded by quotation marks appeared in
newspapers in 1969.

Date: February 28, 1969
Newspaper: The Sheboygan Press
Newspaper Location: Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Article: Prosecutors Zero in On Rackets
Author: Victor Riesel
Quote Page 10, Column 3
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
The government, led by Attorney General John Mitchell's Justice
Department, is moving. It must. Hundreds of billions of dollars will
be spent during the coming decades remodeling the cities, "skilling
up" the unskilled for the sake of the nation, the ghetto and a durable
peace on our streets.
[End excerpt]

Back in November 2017 you initiated a thread about a related term with
reversed constituents: "upskill". I presented a few pertinent
citations at the time.
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2017-November/150068.html

Garson