[Ads-l] jiujitsu/jujitsu (tactics) (1990)

Mon Jun 17 08:21:18 UTC 2019

Thanks to Jesse for sharing the excellent citation located by James
Landau. The OED entry for jiu-jitsu (ju-jitsu) presents a separate
listing for figurative citations. Their first citation in 1906 refers
to "intellectual jiu-jitsu".

[Begin excerpt from OED]
1906 R. Whiteing Ring in New xxix. 206   To lay him flat on his back
by a sort of intellectual jiu-jitsu.
[End excerpt from OED]

Below is a citation in January 1905 that contains the figurative
phrase "mental jiu-jitsu". Two long excerpts are shown because the
article refers to jiu-jitsu several times in interesting ways.

Date: January 5, 1905
Newspaper: The Baltimore Sun
Newspaper Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Article: Jiu-Jitsu for Uncle Sam's Sea Fighters
Quote Page 4, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
It is reported in Washington dispatches that our naval authorities are
considering the advisability of establishing another chair at the
Naval Academy at Annapolis--the chair of jiu-jitsu. As everybody knows
jiu-jitsu is mysterious Japanese method of attack, in which the small
man, who is proficient, makes a sorry spectacle of the big fellow who
is ignorant of the art.
. . .
The 12-inch guns of our warships make jiu-jitsu a rather unnecessary
accomplishment. An enemy can't get close enough in naval warfare to
work his will with hand and foot. So far as mental jiu-jitsu is
concerned the history of our navy shows that American sea-fighters
have nothing to learn from any nation--European or Oriental. Uncle
Sam's "man behind the gun" probably leads in the jiu-jitsu of accurate
shooting the marksmen of any navy against which he may direct his
guns.
[End excerpt]

Below is a comical filler item with "mental jiu-jitsu" that appeared
in several newspapers in January 1905.