[Ads-l] Antedating "cut the mustard"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 17 19:45:19 UTC 2019

That great Ernest Tubb/Red Foley number (“Too old to cut the mustard (anymore)”) Peter links to in the blogpost below, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-l2GgSkA6U, also contains some nice instances of down-home modal syntax:

I used to could jump just like a deer
  But now you need a new landing gear
I used to could jump a picket fence
  But now you're lucky if you jump an inch

In connection with the various early uses of “cut the mustard”, there’s an etymythology that might could be worth mentioning, namely that the phrase is a “corruption” of “cut the muster”. See, for example, https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Talk:cut_the_muster

As usual, there’s no actual evidence for “cut (the) muster" actually appearing independent of the etymythological story, and most sources explain that it comes from a confusion or blending of “cut the mustard” + “pass muster”, e.g.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/passing-muster-and-mustard

LH