[Ads-l] bucket list (wish list)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 20 05:21:04 UTC 2019

I noted the semantic shift in my Wall Street Journal column on "bucket
list" in May 2015. An excerpt:

----
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-origins-of-bucket-list-1432909572
At the White House Correspondents Dinner last month, President Barack Obama
had some fun with a familiar two-word phrase: "bucket list."
"After the midterm elections, my advisers asked me, 'Mr. President, do you
have a bucket list?'" Mr. Obama said. "And I said, well, I have something
that rhymes with 'bucket list'...."
The president's devil-may-care attitude about the end of his second term
was good for a laugh, and it also pointed to how the meaning of "bucket
list" has subtly shifted since it was popularized by the movie "The Bucket
List" in 2007.
The "bucket list" originally meant a list of things that one would like to
do before dying -- that is, before "kicking the bucket." In the film,
Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson play terminal cancer patients living it
up while they still can.
But now, a "bucket list" doesn't have to be so morbid. It can simply be a
wish list to be accomplished by a certain deadline -- like the end of Mr.
Obama's term of office. Similarly, you can find many suggestions online for
your "summer bucket list": things to do before autumn comes.
----