[Ads-l] Earlier forms of "twittersphere"

Sat Jun 22 21:48:04 UTC 2019

Hugo wrote:
> Newly added in the OED, "twittersphere", n.:
>
> 2006   @darren 6 Dec. in twitter.com (O.E.D. Archive)    [Darren] welcomes
> Mike to the twittersphere.
>
> ===
>
> Here's some earlier variant forms:
>
> 2006   @dom 13 Apr.
> wondering what's up in the twit-o-sphere
> https://twitter.com/dom/status/2008
>
> 2006   @dom 10 May
> "tweet-o-sphere" sounds better than "twit-o-sphere"
> https://twitter.com/dom/status/3921
>
> 2006   @shellen 14 Nov.
> Twittering @ cheese might be the blogging @ cats of the twitosphere.
> https://twitter.com/shellen/status/65506
>
> 2006   @Dplanet 24 Nov.
> but i feel much better now i've exposed her evil ways to the twittosphere :)
> https://twitter.com/Dplanet/status/182473
>
> ===
>
> That "tweet-o-sphere" by @dom was also before the earliest "tweet", n.:
>
> 2006   @CyberWanderlust 23 Nov. in twitter.com (O.E.D. Archive)    Thanks
> for new Twidget and knowing who likes my tweet and who don't.
>
> And @dom is responsible for the earliest known "twitter" as both
> intransitive and transitive verbs:
>
> https://twitter.com/bgzimmer/status/1141062536403587072

Excellent work, Hugo (and OED). Here is a tweet containing a
misspelling (or a variant spelling) "twttr-sphere" on July 13, 2006 at
7:16 PM. My time zone is Eastern Time (currently Eastern Daylight
Time),  and I think the time displayed by twitter might based on the
viewers time zone.

https://twitter.com/jeremy/status/9799

[Begin excerpt]
Jeremy @jeremy
7:16 PM - 13 Jul 2006
Watching people answer each other in the twttr-sphere. How provincial.
[End excerpt]

Garson O'Toole