[Ads-l] I cannot phantom...

Mark Mandel markamandel at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 28 21:31:35 UTC 2019

piqued -> peaked
I have seen this homophone error many times. I can easily imagine it
displacing the "correct" spelling *piqued* soon. (This goes for all forms
of the verb.)
1. It uses a French spelling rarely found in English.
2. It has no other common use or idiom to support it. *American Heritage
Dictionary *(https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=pique) offers
one noun and three verb definitions, this being  v 2:

*n.*
A state of vexation caused by a perceived slight or indignity; a feeling of
wounded pride.
*tr.v. **piqued, piqu·ing, piques*
*1.* To cause to feel resentment or indignation.
*2.* To provoke; arouse: The portrait piqued her curiosity.
*3.* To pride (oneself): He piqued himself on his stylish attire.

<<<<<