[Ads-l] Modern Proverb: A good loser is no good (Robert Zuppke Nov 6, 1924) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 29 20:01:37 UTC 2019

Of interest:

1969 _Springfield_ [Mass.] _Union_ (May 7) 12: Clue to Student Anger: 'A
Good Loser is a Loser' ... The [student] sign [at Princeton] said, 'Show me
a Good Loser and I'll Show You a Loser.'

1977 _Dallas Morning News_ (Oct. 8) 11: "A good loser is just a loser,"
[West Point quarterback Leamon] Hall says grimly. ... "I'm a bad loser."

1980 _Boston Globe_ (Aug. 29) 49: [Oakland A's manager Billy] Martin's
theorem: A good loser is still a loser ... "Show me a good loser," Bill
Martin says in summation, "and I'll show you a loser."

1983 _Los Angeles Times_ (May 22) S12: Leo Durocher: "Show me a good loser,
and I'll show you an idiot."

JL