[Ads-l] noggin

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jun 30 16:59:31 UTC 2019

 A. L. Lloyd was one of the founders of the English (soon British & Irish)
traditional song revival of the 1950s.  His recording of the song on his
Riverside album "English Drinking Songs" was issued in 1956.

It has often been "covered" by later performers (most influentially by The
Clancy Bros. & Tommy Makem).

In the place of "noggin," earlier appearances of the song (as collected
directly from traditional singers since ca 1890) have the more expected
"jolly," "bonny," or "nobby." The last may account for "noggin" by
mishearing, but presumably Lloyd, a professional journalist, would not have
made that error. His own liner notes on the song give no explanation of the
word, nor any indication of his source beyond an English pub called "The
Eel's Foot."  Turns out there was such a pub, in Eastbridge, Suffolk, and
Lloyd had produced a show about it and its singers for the BBC in 1938-39.
"All for My Grog" wasn't sung, however.

In any event, "noggin" appears to be restricted to this song, directly via
A. L. Lloyd. It remains even when later singers add their own modern bawdy
verses about pants, whores, wives, brass ('money'), etc..

JL