[Ads-l] "The Big Easy"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 4 18:43:23 UTC 2019

> On Mar 4, 2019, at 10:01 AM, Baker, John <JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM> wrote:
>
> In print, at least, the acronym “NOLA” (short for New Orleans, Louisiana) seems to have taken over (although I haven’t been to New Orleans since 2015, when my daughter graduated from college there).  There did not seem to be any particular prejudice against “Big Easy,” but perhaps it is more acceptable in contexts relevant to tourists and other visitors.  I don’t recall ever hearing “Crescent City.”

Less likely to heard perhaps than to be referenced commercially.  Barry’s entry mentions Crescent City Records and a quick search on “Crescent City” + “New Orleans” turns up Crescent City Brewhouse, Crescent City Steaks, and I’m sure other businesses.  It’s like “Charm City” for Baltimore, “Emerald City” for Seattle, “Rose City“ for Portland, OR, or “Elm City” for New Haven. I’d put “Sin City” for Las Vegas, “City of Angels” for L.A., and “Windy City” or “Second City" for Chicago in a different category (with “the Big Apple” for NYC or, I suppose, “the Big Easy”) in that nicknames in the latter category are known more widely and less purely locally.

LH