[Ads-l] "The Big Easy"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 6 00:31:51 UTC 2019

As for 'Frisco, Herb Caen wrote a book in 1953 entitled, "Don't Call if 'Frisco," so the "don't call it 'Frisco" movement is at least that old.

A San Fran (cisco) genealogy site has a transcript of a 1918 article about a judge admonishing a litigant to not refer to San Francisco as 'Frisco.

""What do you mean by 'Frisco'?" asked Judge Morgan.

"Why, San Francisco, of course," said Hobbs in surprise.

"No one refers to San Francisco by that title except people from Los Angeles," said the court. "I am the chairman of the County Council of Defense, and I warn you that you stand in danger of being interned as an alien enemy. Don't do it again."

Source: San Francisco Examiner, 3 April 1918, page 6.
http://www.sfgenealogy.org/sf/history/hgoe82.htm

In 1912, the Treasury Department issued an order not to use 'Frisco to designate freight shipped to or from San Francisco for practical purposes, but also as a nod to local feelings.  Their reasoning included:

"'Frisco' lacks distinctiveness and dignity, and there are upward of 10 villages named Frisco.  The term 'Frisco' as a name for San Francisco, employed by nonresidents, is objected to by a majority of the citizens of San Francisco, and is never used by them."

The San Francisco Call, August 3, 1912, page 15.

There seems to have been a swelling of "don't call it Frisco" feeling in the aftermath of the San Francisco earthquake and fire.  One such example appeared in the San Francisco Call in 1908.  Mr. F. J. Cooper beat Herb Caen to the punch by 45 years.

"Mr. F. J. Cooper of this city begs the people of Seattle, through the medium of the Post-Intelligencer, to believe that 'Frisco' died on April 18, 1906.  Mr. Cooper hoped never to hear that name again; but he is still tormented by its barbarous sound.  Mr. Cooper writes in patriotic vein.  'This note to you is called forth for the reason that after several days spent in your attractive and lively city I find the use of 'Frisco,' when speaking of San Francisco, is universal among your people.  If every Seattleite knew how 'Frisco' grated upon the ears of his San Francisco visitor the consideration would surely be shown his sensibilities, at least while he made Seattle his headquarters, and that courtesy extended would soon make 'Frisco' as repugnant to the Seattleite as to his southern visitor.'"

San Francisco Call, February 19, 1908, page 4.

There are at least a few other similar articles I've seen from the same period.