[Ads-l] Wunderkind > wonder-kind

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 6 18:20:13 UTC 2019

> On Mar 6, 2019, at 11:37 AM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> I don't understand. Wunderkind is a common German/Yiddish word that
> entered English like so many others.
>
> DanG

Yes, but she was clearly unfamiliar with it, at least as an item in speech, and came up with a natural enough spelling pronunciation.  Or maybe she’d *heard* [vəndɚˌkʰInd] but failed to associate it with the written form “Wunderkind”, the way some of us might have been familiar with hearing [mIs'lEd] as the past tense of “mislead”, but coming across “misled” in print failed to recognize the connection and pronounced it “MY-zld” [‘maiz(@)ld]. I know, Laura Ingraham probably doesn’t deserve the benefit of doubt, but still…

LH