[Ads-l] Big Easy, Frisco, etc.

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Thu Mar 7 15:08:31 UTC 2019

Perhaps calling Manhattan "the City" was influenced by London's City, the central, financial, historic district.

I was born in northern Surrey, but the place later was annexed by Greater London.

SG

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Ben Yagoda <byagoda at UDEL.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019 9:52:07 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: [ADS-L] Big Easy, Frisco, etc.

Two cities come to mind where residents and outsiders use the same nickname—L.A. and my residence of more than thirty years, Philadelphia. In travels in U.S. and outside it, I’ve noticed (more and more) that when I say I’m from here, the response is “Ah, Philly.” And we use the term too. Now why a member of the local baseball nine is called a Phillie, not a Philly, I don’t know.

Ben
The American Dialect Society - https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.americandialect.org&d=DwIFaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=uUVa-8oDL2EzfbuMuowoUadHHcJ7pjul6iFkS5Pd--8&m=SActuNhbGycGlu5wDa8f8YdF8vkTIGkSTZzE4RIWn34&s=vGIl2f7s_pPUU_HTNHYn5d3mz5SODkR9fIhb81Obq6s&e=