[Ads-l] buffet/cafeteria Catholics, Buddhists

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 11 23:16:41 UTC 2019

> On Mar 11, 2019, at 6:37 PM, Tim Stewart <timoteostewart1977 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> “J” is a hard one. Junk Food Aisle Jew isn’t quite right. Vending Machine
> Voudoun?
>
> Another Lutheran one I’ve heard is “La-Z-Boy Lutheran” for a Lutheran who
> skips church and spends Sunday morning in the recliner watching TV.
>
> My favorite play on words in the denominational pun category is
> “Whiskeypalian” for “Episcopalian.”
> https://www.dictionaryofchristianese.com/whiskeypalian-where-you-find-four-episcopalians-youll-find-a-fifth/

Nice entry!  I am surprised at the extension to Baptists, though, for the reason given in the appositive:

The saying “where you find four [insert denomination here], you’ll find a fifth” is most commonly used in reference to Episcopalians, but as you can see from the supporting quotes, the saying is also used in reference to Lutherans, Presbyterians, and pretty much any mainline denomination you can think of. In fact, look closely at the quotations for 1989 and 2010 and you’ll observe that this saying is even used in reference to Baptists, a denomination typically associated with abstinence from alcohol!

Typically associated with abstention indeed, as in the standard declension:

Jews don’t recognize Jesus as the Son of God.
Protestants don’t recognize the authority of the Pope.
Baptists don’t recognize each other in a liquor store.

From what I’ve heard, this could apply to Methodists too—but to be sure, not to Episcopalians.