[Ads-l] buffet/cafeteria Catholics, Buddhists

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 12 15:05:36 UTC 2019

> On Mar 11, 2019, at 10:31 PM, W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Cherry-pickin' pagans. How I describe the Taiwanese, who have managed to
> syncretize Taoism, Buddhism, Confucianism, shamanism, with the Presbyterian
> hymnal. (An especially popular tune for funerals is Auld Lang Syne.)

Nicely alliterative but tough to pull off, given…well, you know:

Smorgasbord Scientologists

More plausible or at least safer:

Smorgasbord Swedenborgians
(For those who are into spiritual connection and believe that Heaven is open to all and that God offers unconditional love, but aren’t really into Biblical exegesis.  Or vice versa.).