[Ads-l] Antedating of Jamboree

Thu Mar 14 19:00:04 UTC 2019

Google Books has a different 1853 song book which uses the variant
spelling "Jamberine".

Buckley's Ethiopian Melodies (1853)
https://books.google.com/books?id=ODVYAAAAcAAJ&q=Jamberine#v=snippet&q=Jamberine&f=false

[Begin excerpt - check for OCR errors]
Hoop Jamberine
Written for Buckley's Serenaders, by D. Emmit.

I WENT down to New Orleans,
I think myself a man,
De first place I found myself
Was on board de Talleyrand.

CHORUS.--
Hoop Jamberine, Hoop Jamberine,
Vinegar shoes and paper stockings,
Get up ole boss.
[End excerpt]

Here is a link to Peter's Feb 2018 mailing list message:
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2018-February/150874.html