[Ads-l] Antedating of Jamboree

Fri Mar 15 15:23:58 UTC 2019

The author of a book about euchre used "jamboree" in 1862 while
expressing uncertainty about its etymology and connected the term to
the domain of music.

Year: 1862 Copyright
Title: The Law and Practice of the Game of Euchre
Author: A Professor (Charles Henry Wharton Meehan)
Quote Page 74
Published: T. B. Peterson & Brothers, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Database: Google Books Full View

https://books.google.com/books?id=azmZ0tWYeicC&q=%22jamboree+is%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt – check for errors]
Jamboree is another musical sound of unknown etymological deduction,
rarely announced, however—"breathe not his name"—and signifies the
combination of the five highest cards, namely, the two Bowers, Ace,
King, and Queen of trumps, in one hand, which bestows on the
player—fortuna juvante—who holds this galaxy of cards, the pleasing
privilege of counting sixteen points. It requires but little to be
said of this rare constellation of the "painted tablets," for a player
will not have dealt to him the Jamboree more than two or three times
in the course of a quarter of a century's addiction to the game.
[End excerpt]