[Ads-l] Lewis Porter on the origins of "jazz"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 21 00:43:01 UTC 2019

GB affords several eds. of the 17th century "Comedie," the earliest being
from 1633.

I cannot locate the quote.

>From the cite it's impossible to know whether this sense of "jaser" was
"slang" or merely a one-off literary metaphor.

In any case, there's no reason to assume that any 17th or 18th (or even
19th) century usage of "jaser" in French has any connection with 20th
century U.S. usage of "jazz."
"
Now, if "jaser" in that sense was in French colloquial use in 1917-18, that
would be significant to the U.S. sexual sense of "jazz."

But perhaps not to the 1913 sense.

JL

JL