[Ads-l] Wikipedia Claim About "Jazz"

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Mon Mar 25 12:54:00 UTC 2019

Stephen and Fred are justified in their skepticism

of the supposed March 3, 1906 attestation of "jazz"

in the San Francisco Bulletin (supposedly located by Holbrook).

To be clear: That supposed 1906 attestation does not

exist. And Dick Holbrook certainly never suggested

it did. Holbrook's most important discovery was

an April 5, 1913 article in the San Francisco Bulletin

in which "jazz" is described as "a futurist word which

has just joined the language."

If the writer of the Wikipedia item would like any guidance on this, I'll be happy to provide it.

Gerald Cohen

author of _Origin of the Term "Jazz"_, 2015.

(includes the detailed contributions of

ads-l members)