[Ads-l] FW: "March Madness" "Sweet Sixteen" and the like (UNCLASSIFIED)

MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY FUTURES COMMAND (USA) 0000099bab68be9a-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Fri Mar 29 21:35:34 UTC 2019

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Big Dance
_Milwaukee Sentinel_ 20 Mar 1974 p 13 col 2

"[Bobby] Knight praised Marquette's discipline, too, admonished it to play its own game in Greensboro.  'When you get to the big dance,' he said, 'don't forget to dance a couple times with the babe that brung you.' "

Cinderella Team

Multiple mentions of "Cinderella team" in IA, KS basketball tournaments of 1938 in Newspaperarchive.com  Also, many mentions of "Cinderall team" in reference to college football between 1938 and 1944 in Newspaperarchive.com.

_Macon [GA] Telegraph_ 7 Mar 1938 p 6 col 1
"The Mercer Bears, Cinderella team of the Dixie Conference basketball tournament, will play Mississippi College, the only pre-tournament favorite left in the running, for championship honors here Monday night."

Elite Eight

_Muscatine [IA] Journal and News Tribune_ 12 Mar 1928 p 8 col 1
"Teachers college high earned the right to a place among the elite eight by trimming Aplington in the district 3 finals at Cedar Falls."