[Ads-l] "santorum"

Sat Mar 30 17:16:45 UTC 2019

It's been 15 years since the "santorum" made a claim to be a word, promoted
by Dan Savage, to honor a particularly contemptible senator.
I wonder how many subscribers are aware of the campaign to promote the use
of the word "santorum" to refer  to "the frothy mix of lubricant and fecal
matter that is sometimes a byproduct of anal sex."
Michael Newman on Saturday, February 7, 2004

However, the problem is that it is hard to imagine any "in-the-wild" uses
of the term
Michael Newman  Saturday February 7, 2004

The concern stated in Newman's second comment prevailed.  Whenever the word
was found, it was clearly prompted by the campaign to get the word into
dictionaries.  So the campaign failed, at least for the OED -- I haven't
checked Merriam-Webster.
However, the word does live.  This is from an essay and its commentary from
February of this year, in The Root -- Black news, opinions, politics and
culture.
The good news is that the 2016 election showed that almost three million
people (including me) voted for a controversial woman over the lazy corrupt
racist orange santorum-covered enemy of the people.
The bad news, of course, is that the Electoral College let us down, and the
winner has been spreading santorum all over the country and world ever
since.

GAT
George A. Thompson
The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
Univ. Pr., 1998.

But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
your lowly tomb. . .
L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112

The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
picture of his great-grandfather.)
http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851