[Ads-l] Self-care

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 2 20:42:07 UTC 2019

Well, it's hit the NewYorker "Shouts and Murmurs" page:
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/dos-and-donts-for-2020-democratic-candidates-targeting-the-youth-vote?utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_source=nl&utm_brand=tny&utm_mailing=TNY_Daily_042619_Test&utm_medium=email&bxid=5be9c6f02ddf9c72dc163137&user_id=14952024&esrc=&utm_content=A&utm_term=TNY_Daily

Do’s and Don’ts for 2020 Democratic Candidates Targeting the Youth Vote
Do talk about self-care. Do you have a skin-care regimen? Are you in
therapy? Do you ever eat a vegetable that most people hate, like
Brussels sprouts? Share this! Sure, your generation valued hard work
and never expressing feelings unless it was on a deathbed in
Viet-freaking-nam. But this generation is different. Maybe it’s the
crippling student debt or the rise of the twenty-four-hour
network-news cycle. Who can say. Regardless, you ate a hot dog at a
food truck in Flushing, Queens, last week—you can pretend to know what
transcendental meditation is.

Does that mean it's jumped the shark?

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 12:37 PM George Thompson <george.thompson at nyu.edu> wrote:

> Theresa Fisher asks: Hi! I'm trying to figure out when the term "self-care"
> emerged. I've read a number articles that trace the history of the
> self-care movement. But I'm having trouble finding information about the
> origins of the term itself.   This Slate story suggests that self-care
> emerged as a medical concept at some point before the mid-20th century, and
> then acquired political meaning in the 1960s or 70s.
> I have no idea what the political meaning of self-care might be.
> I checked the Proquest database of American 'Historical Newspapers."
> There were a couple of appearances of the term with reference to women
> caring for their beauty at the beginning of the 20th century, then a lull.
> In the 1930s it appeared as a beauty tip, a medical term, and in a Nazi
> context. &c..
> There was a great drop-off in the term appearing in headlines in the 2010s,
> from the 2000s.
>
> Go to your library and talk to a librarian to check this and similar
> databases, more thoroughly.
>
> GAT
>
> Let Summer Days Help You in Keeping Your Skin Lovely: Summer Can Be Big
> Beauty Aid If You'll Let It Warm Weather Ideal Time to Care for
> Skin.   Chicago Daily Tribune,  July, 1931 LIFE SPAN OF 70 SEEN BY MAYO IN
> 25 YEARS: But 12-Year Gain Depends on Man's Self-Care Between 30 and 50,
> Says Physician   NYTimes, October 1931
>
>  REICH MAKES JEWS JOIN FOR SELF-CARE: All Placed in One Organization
> Running Schools and Relief   NYTimes, July, 1939
>
> --
> George A. Thompson
> The Guy Who Still Looks Stuff Up in Books.
> Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern
> Univ. Pr., 1998.
>
> But when aroused at the Trump of Doom / Ye shall start, bold kings, from
> your lowly tomb. . .
> L. H. Sigourney, "Burial of Mazeen", Poems.  Boston, 1827, p. 112
>
> The Trump of Doom -- also known as The Dunghill Toadstool.  (Here's a
> picture of his great-grandfather.)
> http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851

Andy Bach,
afbach at gmail.com