[Ads-l] New to me - wokescold and wypipo

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 7 00:54:22 UTC 2019

Ran across two new-to-me words today.

wypipo means "white people," or certain kinds of white people.  It has apparently been around for several years.  Urban Dictionary entry dated 2016.  In searching for examples, There is also a verb form, "wypipoling," which also dates to at least 2016.

"The 2016 Wypipo Awards," Michael Harriot, theroot.com, December 24, 2016.
https://www.theroot.com/the-2016-wypipo-awards-1790858299

[Begin excerpt]
"Not everyone is eligible for these honors. Only the small subset of white people called “wypipo”—those who trade in privilege, hate and what our panelists call “white people s—t”—are eligible to receive a nomination. Without further ado, here are the nominees and winners of the 2016 Wypipo Awards.
[End excerpt]

wokescold (sometimes hyphenated or two words).

"Don't Let the Woke Scolds Ruin Cinco De Mayo, Tacos, tequila, and sombreros are not the path to white supremacy.," Robby Soave, reason.com, May 5, 2019.
https://reason.com/2019/05/05/cinco-de-mayo-cultural-appropriation/

It is defined in the earliest example I could find of the word, a January 2 piece by Ben Shapiro.

2019: The Year of the Wokescolds, Ben Shapiro, Townhall.com, January 2, 2019.
 https://townhall.com/columnists/benshapiro/2019/01/02/2019-the-year-of-the-wokescolds-n2538337

[Begin Excerpt]
"Wokescolds are the new representatives of moral panic.  We've seen plenty of moral panic before in the United States, from worries about violent video games, to concern about allegations of sex abuse at day care facilities.  But never have we seen a moral panic of the stunning breadth of today's woke moral panic."
[End excerpt]