[Ads-l] Anonymous Was a Woman

Tue May 7 18:00:15 UTC 2019

A 2014 article on this topic at the Forbes website highlighted some of
my previous research and Fred's.

7 Famous Quotes You Definitely Didn't Know Were From Women

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maseenaziegler/2014/09/01/how-we-all-got-it-wrong-women-were-behind-these-7-famously-inspiring-quotes/

There are some recent entries on the QI website that may fit Fred's
request. These sayings are not terribly famous, but they have often
been shared via social media, and I have been asked to examine them.

Art is standing with one hand extended into the universe and one hand
extended into the world and letting ourselves be a conduit for passing
energy.

The quotation above has been attributed to Albert Einstein, but the
correct source appears to be the following:

Spiritual love is a position of standing with one hand extended into
the universe and one hand extended into the world, letting ourselves
be a conduit for passing energy.

Christina Baldwin, Life’s Companion, Journal Writing as a Spiritual Quest (1990)

More information is available here:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2019/03/11/one-hand/

Love is a promise
Love is a souvenir
Once given
Never forgotten, never let it disappear

The words above have been attributed to John Lennon; however, the song
writers Roland Orzabal and Nicky Holland (male and female) deserve
credit.

More information is available here:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2019/02/17/promise/

The Oxford English Dictionary has an entry for two related phrases:

to come or crawl out of the woodwork -- to come out of hiding; to
emerge from obscurity
to crawl (back) into the woodwork -- to disappear into obscurity.

The first OED citation is dated 1964, but I found that Dorothy Parker
popularized "crawl back into the woodwork" by 1933 with the help of
Alexander Woollcott. More information is available here:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2019/04/20/woodwork/

Garson O'Toole