[Ads-l] Anonymous Was a Woman

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 8 17:38:47 UTC 2019

Interesting.  When it’s attributed to a man, even in the French form (“plus je connais les hommes”), the interpretation is at the speciesist level as in the version immediately below (“The more I learn about people”…).  But when the French version is attributed to Madame de Sévigné or one of her spiritual sisters, “les hommes” is more likely (although not certain, parallel to “The more I get to know men”) to get a gender-specific reading.

LH