[Ads-l] Quote: Politicians, like diapers, should be changed regularly

Mon May 13 21:15:12 UTC 2019

Historian Ron Chernow addressed the White House Correspondents
Association dinner back on Saturday April 29, 2019, and he referred to
the saying in the subject line.

Barry Popik and I have entries about this quip on our websites (and I
started a mailing-list thread on the topic back in 2018). The words
are often incorrectly ascribed to Mark Twain.

Now the website entries have been updated with newly discovered
illuminating citations.

Politicians Are Like Diapers. They Should Be Changed Regularly
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2018/10/17/diaper/

“Politicians and diapers should both be changed regularly, and for the
same reason”
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/politicians_and_diapers_should_both_be_changed_regularly_and_for_the_same_r

An interesting precursor in 1952 used "socks" instead of "diapers".

[ref]1952 September 10, Boston Traveler, (Letter to the editor from
John Q. of Roslindale), Letter title: No Re-Elections, Quote Page 26,
Column 5, Boston, Massachusetts. (GenealogyBank) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
If a politician needs to hold office but six years to get a pension
let's all go to the polls and see that he doesn’t hold office that
long. Office holders, like socks, should be changed often and for very
much the same reason.
[End excerpt]

Garson