[Ads-l] Quote: Politicians, like diapers, should be changed regularly (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 15 01:50:08 UTC 2019

> On May 14, 2019, at 8:44 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> (Material has been snipped)
>
> Bill Mullins gave a citation:

> Laurence Horn wrote:
>> “…and for the same reason”?
>>
>> That’s what makes the politicians version more memorable—besides losing the whiff of misogyny.
>
> I have not seen "for the same reason" appended to the women/socks
> version of the joke. (I think that is your point).
>
> The phrase "for very much the same reason" is appended to the
> politicians/socks version of the joke in 1952. ("Office holders, like
> socks, should be changed often and for very much the same reason.")
>
> The phrase "for the same reason" is appended to the diapers/socks
> version of the joke in 1966.
>
> The laughter response can be triggered when the brain is tricked into
> unexpectedly entertaining a taboo thought according to one theory of
> humor. The phrase "for the same reason" in the politicians/diapers
> quip causes the listener to confront the excrement taboo juxtaposed
> with politicians.
>
> The phrase "very much the same reason" in the politicians/socks joke
> leads to an olfactory taboo which is considerably weaker. That might
> make it less memorable.
>
> Garson

Exactly, plus in the socks version the transfer virtually has to detour through “stink” as a lexical item, while in the diapers version…well, the stink transfers quite well without lexical mediation, and it’s not solely olfactory.  YMMV.

LH