[Ads-l] Word/Phrase: cancel, cancel culture, cancellation culture

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 17 23:08:37 UTC 2019

At the end of the day, one can only hope that the fetishism for Briticism
will soon go missing.

Prolly won't, though. Even the boyz n the hood favor "at the end of the
day" and "go missing."

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 2:00 AM Bwh031451 <bwh031451 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I’m wondering is: When did Americans start putting two ells in
> “canceled” and “canceling”?  I am well aware that two ells are preferred in
> British spellings, and that “cancellation” with two ells has been long
> preferred on both sides of the pond; for some reason Americans seem to be
> adopting British practice for the other forms as well.
>
> I can’t tell you how many times I have looked up home pages of people who
> post on Facebook, wondering they are Canadian, Indian or Australian, only
> to find they are Americans who just use the spellings favoured (sic)
> elsewhere.
>
> I expect they will soon start wasting ells on “levelled/levelling”,
> “bevelled/bevelling“, “travelled/travelling”, “pencilled/pencilling”,
> “parcelled/parcelling”,
> “carolled/carolling”,”devilled/devilling”, “cavilled/cavilling”  et al. as
> well?
>
> note: or maybe they already have—in the above list, Apple spell-chequer
> (sarcasm) did NOT flag bevelled, travelled, pencilled, or pencilling as
> misspelled.
>
> Why not change them all at once and be done with the dirty business?
> (Sarcasm: And switch all our -ize suffixes to -ise, and our favorite,
> honorable colors to “favourite honourable colours”? All those spare Us have
> been piling up, unUsed, for centuries.)
>
> Basically, my question is: Is there any point anymore to knowing the
> difference between AmE and BrE spellings?
>

> Brian Hitchcock
> At Large
> Email:  bwh031451 at gmail.com

-Wilson